Tostones - AKA Fried Plantains, I honestly did not know my love for them until I went to pollo tropical, I was always so overwhelmed with how to make them and buying plantains at the grocery store, I don't know why, but I was. These were actually super easy and not hard to make at all!!
I can make a main dish with no problem but a side is always hard for me to come up with, I fall not the trap of making the same potatoes and broccoli every night. These tostones (AKA Fried Plantains) are a good way to spice things up!! Side items are hard to come up with, so here is a fun new side for you! This can go with breakfast, lunch or dinner... it pairs well with fried eggs, some chimichurri chicken or shrimp (recipe for that coming soon!), with some grilled chicken wings or just as a snack with some paleo ranch! They are really versatile and that is one thing I love about them. I love the fact that they have a sweet but salty taste!
1-2 unripe plantains, peeled and cut about a 1/2 inch thick
- Peel and cut plantain at an angle at about a 1/2 in width
- Once cut, push down plantain with knife
- Place ghee in a pan over medium high heat
- Once pan is heated add in plantains and season with salt, pepper, and garlic
- When that side is browned to your liking, flip, and season again.